Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Whoa Snap I'm in Mongolia

I got in after 23 hours of flying and promptly went to network with some bigwig millionaire European investors who are the Council of Advisors or something for the company which I'm working for, Asia Pacific Investment Partners, which is a non-banking financial institution. I don't know what that means, but they apparently do a lot of stuff. Non-banking finance is just as foreign to me as Mongolia itself, so this will be quite an adventure.

I'm settled in now, I have a nice Soviet-style apartment. There's no hot water, very few lightbulbs, and it smells kind of funny, but I got sheets today so that's a plus. I'm downtown, right between the circus building and the state department store. Traffic here is crazy. The number of cars in the city has tripled with no improvements made to roads. The drivers don't stop ever, they drive all over the road, and if they hit you, it's your fault. To cross the street, you have to play a game of Frogger. Apparently the best strategy is to shadow old ladies, because drivers usually avoid them.

Things I've learned so far: If you step on someone's foot, you must immediately shake their hand or they will beat you up. Genghis Khan is actually a Persian bastardization of the name: it's pronounced Chinggis Khan. Mutton dumplings are very greasy. More to come.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh john you're finally there!!!

    It's so cool to read about the things that you've done because some were things that I totally forgot about. Who was the guy that picked you up from the airport...was it Bilgee? They will also shove so much vodka down your throat that you soon confuse it with water.

    Tell everyone at APIP that I say hi and that I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, JB, I've heard of wanting to getting away by oneself, but isn't this a little extreme?

    Stay safe and in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JOHNNNNN ELA!!!!!

    Hi. I heart you and I miss you. And so glad I can now stalk you via blog!!!

    I like many things about this first blog including the title and the mentioning of Frogger.

    You should make sure to teach them Mongolians a thing or two about American culture, and by that I really mean Wisconsin culture. Cheese, beer, Shad-Rapp, etc.

    K I'm at work and I gotta peace but you rock!!!!!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete